2♦ opening is strictly Forcing and maybe any one of these 3 kinds of hand:
- A classic weak 2 in a Major
- A 19-20 HCP Adjusted, Balanced & may include a 5 card suit.
- 5-5 or better 4-7LTC Either Clubs-Hearts or Diamonds-Spades
Responder makes one of these 3 possible responses:
- 2H: Default - heart support denied.
This response is the preferred response wih a poor FLAT weak hands with little
honour strength [ Note: A 2H response does not imply or deny
Spade support - but does makes it a little more probable.]. Partner with a weak 2 in Hearts can PASS or with a weak 2 in Spades 'correct' to 2Spades.
Promises good support for Hearts. Hx or xxx or better. [Note: it forces
the Heart pre-empt to the 3-level. Also it does not necessarily deny
Spades - but even if the Spade support is better than the Heart support
2♠ must be preferred to 2♥ unless holding a flat and weak hand]
- 2N: Forcing. 15+HCP or 12+ with at least Hx|xxx card support for both majors. If 2♦ opening is made in 3rd position, 2NT must be 15+ to allow for a more probable weak major 2 bid, or even only a 5 card major.
- Rare responses:
- 3mi: A Beta Break-out bid! 7+ card minor suit with limited values
-likely to lack Major suits support. Theory is that playing in this
minor provides value in terms of trumps and is likely to
play better than playing in any Major. If partner holds
a strong balanced hand, 19-20 and the minor
suit is supported: then 3N beckons.
- 4mi . Pre-emptive: Shows an 8+ card suit, denies any Major support, moderate values
Opener's rebid after a 2♥ response
- PASS Shows a weak 2 in Hearts
- 2♠ Shows a weak 2 in Spades
- 2NT Shows 19-20 Balanced FULL Puppet follows...
- 3♣|♦Show 5-5 or better ♣-♥ or ♦-♠ respectively, for continuations see: 3mi opening bids. 3N is the only forcing response
Opener's rebid after 2♠ response
- PASS Shows a weak 2 in Spades
- 3♥ shows a weak 2 in Hearts - partner hs shown some trump support - pre--mptive in nature
- 2NT Shows a Balanced 19-20HCP. FULL Puppet follows
- 3♣|♦Show 5-5 or better ♣-♥ or ♦-♠. Continuations see 3mi opening bids. 3N is the only forcing response
If Opponents intervene
a) Directly over 2♦
Usually this intervention will be likely to be either a suit bid or a Take-Out Double. Responder bids as follows:
PASS if normal bid would have been either 2♥ or 2♠ and holding <=9(10) HCP or the bid can no longer be made
*|** If a forcing 2N was intended: (14)15+ HCP
- 3♦|♣ break-outs should be bid or 4♣|♦ has the same meaning over an opponents 3Ma intervention
- 2♥|♠ can still be made with their usual meaning over an opponents T-O double only if holding (10)-(14)HCP
b) Intervention before opener's rebid:
- Opener can still rebid his 6|7 card major 2♠|3♥ if opponent simply doubled your partners 2♥ or 2♠ response or partner made a break-out of: 3♦| you may simply PASS or raise. If partner had responded 2N then pursue your normal response - if it would have been 3min then bid 4mi ! If it would have been your Major you may still bid it to.
- 3♣|♦ 4♣|♦ can also be bid pre-emptively with 2-suited hands.
*|** If a balanced hand of 19-20 even if a 2N bid remains available. Partner continues with FULL puppet as if 2N had been bid!: every bid still a transfer! e.g. 2♦-2Ma-3mi(opp)-*-3♦ A transfer to 3♥
- 3mi If a 2 suiter ♣-♥ or ♦-♠. If 4mi required then 4-6 LTC required.
- Double for penalties. (opponent indiscretion!)
Following any Heart or Spade rebid (weak major 2)
- Opener is weak and usual continuation is PASS
- With appropriate values raise to 3 or 4 level
may have no support (singleton or void) but has a 6+card suit
alternative and values in the suit. Bids his suit at the 3-level
Following a 2NT rebid or * by opener showing a balanced 19-20HCP
Following 3mi rebid (2-suited hand)
Show preference: PASS or correct (to implied Major).
Also may bid game in Major with a weak distributional hand.
Bid 3N! distributional inquiry when able to explore Game or higher.
If opponents intervention is made at the 4-level: A stronger responder
may warrant a 4N a distributional inquiry & a subsequent 5N would
then be an LTC inquiry! BUT a 4-5LTC required for this!