There are four sequences that lead to 2NT, that then automatically invoke Puppet continuations.. These are:
- 2NT opening bid showing a balanced 21-22
- 2♦ opening and 2NT rebid showing a balanced 19-20
- 2♣ opening and a 2NT rebid following a negative 2♦ response showing 23+ invitational
- 2♣ opening and a 3NT rebid following a negative 2♦ response showing 25+-usually to play
- 2NT jump response to a T-O Double
All Puppet responses to 2NT are transfers except 3♣
which is a stayman like inquiry for both 5 & 4 card majors.
Primaey objective is that the 2NT bidder always plays the final contract. To achieve this responder always
Inquiry: preferable requirement is 3+ cards in each major.
However 2 cards to a top honour is acceptable. Responses are:
No 5 card major but holding at
least one 4 card major (possibly both). [Note some variants use 4♣ to show both majors this is both unnecessary and potentially dangerous as it takes bidding beyond 3NT.]
- 3♥|♠ Natural. Shows the 5 card major bid
- 3NT No Major so NT bidder is 3-3 or 3-2 in the majors
After a 3♦ reply 3♣ bidder now bids as follows:
3♥! Shows a 4 card 'Spade' suit
3♠! Shows a 4 card 'Heart' suit
3NT No 4 card major
! BOTH Majors
Now for the transfers, there are no jumps or other deviations!
3♦ Transfer to Hearts Shows a 5+ card Heart suit. 2NT bidder rebids 3♥
- 3♥ Transfer to Spades Shows a 5+ card Spade suit. 2NT bidder rebids 3♠
- 3♠ Transfer to 3NT. 2NT bidder must rebid 3NT. Maybe partner has Diamonds on his mind then:
- 3NT Transfer to 4♣
- 4♣ Transfer to 4♥ To play
- 4♦ Transfer to 4♠ To play
- 4NT Quantitative (shows combined 30 HCP)
You may come across additional bids (extensions), however the Author finds them unnecessary.
Continuations may proceed to game OR directly 4NT ERKCB OR cue-bidding. Following cue-bids TURBO 4NT operates.