Defending weak 2-3-4's
♣ ♦ ♥ ♠
Following Weak 2's:
Overcalls at the 2-level are natural & competitive - usually less than a sound opening bid
Our defense is Rubinsohl based! Its a choice - there is not the bidding
space to be precise! Our objective is to compete where possible and to
bid a game if possible! PASS when these goals are out of sight! In
other words leave them to it otherwise! And above all avoid turning a
positive result into a negative one!
- Rubinsohl requires a quality suit and sound opening values are
required. Any good 6 card suit qualifies. Bid 3 of the suit below.
These are transfer bids! 2N for clubs up to 3♥ for spades & 3♠ for 3N
- A transfer to the opponents suit is NOT natural of
course! It shows good values and promises at least 4-5 cards in
the highest unbid Major.
- A Double denies holding a suit as defined above but does shows
moderate opening values, a somewhat balanced hand and may or may not
have some length or values in opponents suit. This is NOT a T_O Double but
has a punitive nature! Partner by choosing to PASS is converting it to
a penalty double! Holding a good suit one should show it - unless you
rate your defensive prospects superior: then PASS. [Note if opps are
vulnerable aa 200 result is a prize very much worth going for unless
your side can make a game!]
- 3♠ is also a Rubinsohl bid - a transfer to 3N. This shows a 19+
HCP balanced hand. Partner may complete the transfer or show his suit t
the appropriate level.
- Rubinsohl is also effective over a 3♣ pre-empt
- A direct overcall in a new suit at the 4 level or higher shows a 7+ card suit
Following 3♦ ♥ ♠ pre-empts
- Same level bids are Natural NF
- 3N is natural 19+ Balanced - partner may have other ideas!
- * Suggests penalties - usually 15-18 Balanced or partly
based on values and length in opponents suit: partner accepts or bids his
- 4-level bids show 2-suits 5-5 or better
- Cue-bid: Shows a 16+ 3-suited hand: Partner chooses suit and level.
Following a 4-level pre-empt
Options are now very limited!
- 4Major are to play
- 4N shows Highest & lowest unbid suits (Note: following Beta - but classically shows lowest 2 unbid suits)
- 5♦! shows the 2 highest unbid suits
- 5♣ shows both lowest 2 unbid suits
- * Penalty - partner may have other ideas!