Major Trial bids
Trial bids follow in opener's further rebids in all the following sequences:
Note: In the 3rd type, responder is showing 3+ card support in (i) BUT usually only 3 card support in (ii).
- 1Ma - 2Ma - ? (3+ card support for spades, 4 card support for Hearts)
- 1Ma - (LHO intervenes in a suit OR with a double) - 2Ma
- 1Ma - simple response - a 3rd suit - 2Ma E.g (i) 1H-1S-2mi-2H or (ii) 1Ma-2mi-2nd_suit_by_opener-2Ma
The value range of the response is the SAME in all cases: (5-9HCP). Opener's rebid
in a new suit is always aTrial bid. (A 2nd suit is not being shown).
In case 2 with an intervening double: the simple raise shows the same HCP range
however responder may now make a distributional competitive raise to
In case 2 of an opponents simple suit overcall : a cue-bid rebid by opener is also a trial bid!
In both these sequences a trial bid rebid by opener in an unbid
suit, investigates essentially the difference between a somewhat pre-emptive initial raise AND a solid initial raise.
- In all cases, an inquiry in a new suit inquires about
partner's holdings, as is the usual practice in Beta, it
inquires at the same time in the suit bid and
the next unbid suit cyclically - focusing attention on two rather than
just 1 suit. It is looking for help, 1st or 2nd round controls in one or both suits - responder
going straight to 4 if able to provide an additional control in
either suit which can be a top honour: A & K or showing control in a
suit with a void or singleton. Responses are as follows:
- 3Ma Minimum. Shows lack of good controls in the requested suits
- 3NT Suggests responder has only 3 card support, With good honour values providing guards in BOTH the two indicated suits. (Partner may still continue to 4Ma)
- Bidding in the either of the named requests suits at the 3-level shows good honour
control in the bid suit, but not Ace or King and denies any aid in the other indicated suit if it can be bid <3Ma -
referring the decision on game back to the opener. Ex.: 1S-2S-3C-3D...
or 1H-2H-3C-3D... or 1H-2H-2S-3C... or 1H-(2C)-2H-3C-3D...
- Bidding 4Ma shows values for game, accepting partners invitation & NO preference for a 3NT game.