Definition of a Break-out
A break-out is a bid made by the responder showing a (6)7+ card suit in a weak hand - 5-9HCP -
A break-out bid is a STOP bid as far as the responder is concerned and is usually passed.
In most cases the break-out is made in a minor - in a few circumstances it may also be in a Major too where indicated below
The following is a list all the situations in BetaAcol where a Break-out bid may occur listed by opening bid or T-O *
- Multi 2D opening: Only minor break-outs.
2Ma openings: Only minor break-outs.
- Ex: 2D-3mi. This shows a 7+
card suit. If the 2D was a weak 2 then this break-out should be passed.
It will usually imply no good support for a weak major. The logic is
that the 7 card suit will produce more tricks through ruffs
and be safer than allowing partner to play in 2Ma. A strong partner,
19-20 Balanced may bid on if holding 3 card support for the minor to
3NT or possibly a minor game.
- Breakout is still valid if an opponent intervenes with a Double or 2Ma bid: 2D-2Ma(opp)-3D¦C
1C opening: Breakout only minors!
- Ex: 2H-3mi. Shows a 7+ card suit and explicitly denies support for opener's Major. Eg V or S or small doubleton at most.
2C openings: Breakout bid is made beyond the 4th step
- Ex: 1C-3any.
A 3-level response shows a (5)6+ card clubs suit or 6+ card diamonds.
Valid over interference too. This is not to be confused with 2-level
responses which are natural showing good values. 1C-2mi 10+ 5+
cards & No 4 card major.
2C openings - response to a TRUMP REQUEST. Again a breakout is made beyond the 4th step
- NEW suit is a break-out 7+ cards OR 6 cards headed by the Q
- Ex. 2C-3C¦D¦H¦S. All breakouts directly in response to a 2C show 0 cntrls
Partner makes a T-O *. A breakout may be made at the 3-level.
- Ex: 2C-2H(shows 1-2 cntrls)-2N(trump request in Hearts)-3N(club breakout) or 4C(Diamond breakout)or 4D(spade breakout) 6+ cards. These breakouts deny holding more than xx in partner's request suit.
- Ex: 1H(opp)-*(partner)-3C¦D¦S are break-outs. Weak 7+ card suits <=7 HCP. Note 2-level bids are 8+ HCP & showing 2-suits.
- Ex: 1H(opp)-*(partner)-1S(opp)-3mi are break-outs
- Ex: 1H(opp)-*(partner)-2H(opp)-4C¦D¦S are break-outs