1D Opening bid & Responses
5+ card Diamond suit denies any 5+ card Major suit - as then the opening would be either 3C (both red suits) or 2D (rebid 3D shows D's +S's)
7 1/2 LTC maximum
Alternative openings that always take precedence:
2NT 21-22 Balanced - may be 4 or 5 cards
2C 23+ Balanced OR 5+ D's & <= 3 1/2 LTC
2D : 19-20 Balanced OR 5+-5+ in D & S
3C¦D: 5+-5+ redsuits or Majors.
Longest suit held.
Partner's Responses 1D - ?
- PASS: 0-4 HCP
- 1Ma: 4+ Cards 5+ HCP
10+ 5+ card suit. MAY NOT HIDE
a 4 card Major
- 2NT: Balanced. Only without intervention. Shows 16+ HCP (or 15+ only with minimum positive support for diamonds): BARON
- 2D: With 10+ HCP & (H3) 4+ card support & NO major. This is an Inverted minor
bid, valid over any intervention (even over a T-O double) bid 2D and
ignore a 4 card major if you have one!
2N over any intervention promises a sound raise to at least the
3-level. Any direct raise to the 3 or higher level is pre-emptive.
- 3¦4D: With 4+ card support & <10 HCP and preferably and distributional values - pre-emptive nature
- If RHO doubles for T-O, A redouble shows 8+ HCP denies a diamond fit or a 4+ card Major. Any major held must be shown directly over the opponents T-O Double
- If RHO overcalls in a suit, a negative double denies a
diamond fit, but shows at least 3 cards in
any unbid suit. Strength depends on the level: 1L: (7)8+; 2L: (9)10+;
3L: (11)12+. Importantly any new suit bid at any level bid denies
the foregoing HC values and is pre-emptive in nature. The only
exception is the sequence: 1D-1H-1S which is natural and not to be
considered as pre-emptive.
- A direct 1NT 5-9 HCP Balanced denies any 4 card Diamond fit
- A 1NT bid following a 1Ma overcall suggests a guard in the that Major
- A 2NT bid following any overcall shows a good raise to at least 3D. 'Trustcot'
bids: 3NT, 4Ma & 5D To play, These bids usually based on suit
length and distribution and are NOT showing slam interest per se,. 3N requires adequate guards
- 4C¦3H¦3S Natural. 7+ card suits & distributional (No splinters, no SWISS over a minor opening either).
- Single Jump bids without intervention e.g. 1D-2H as usual in Beta shows game values and are automatically a Trump request
Opener's Rebids 1D - 1Ma
4 card Spade suit
Fit - shows 4 card.
4 card Natural
12-16 Balanced. 2C Crowhurst inquiry available - Beta standard - regardless of 1NT opening strength!
17-18 Balanced. Invitational. Denies a fit
Splinter(4C or 3'Ma) Shows 4 card support and a shortage in Clubs or the other Major
Jnew suit(3C or 2'Ma) (15)16+ HCP A 2-3
card short suit with ideally 2 top honours. Forcing. Shows a single suited Diamond hand
6 card suit. 10-14
6+ card suit
Opener's after 1D - 1NT - (Responder has no singleton¦void)
12-(15), 6 card suit, single suited - with 6-4 show 2nd suit on 1st rebid
4-5 card suit, Note: if opener has a 6 card club suit 1C is mandatory even with a 5 card in any other suit.
Natural, balanced limit bids
15+HCP, quality 6+ card suit single suited hand
(15)16+ Shows a Short suit (1) 2-3 cards
with top controls - Never a void a singleton Ace is acepted.
Responder's Rebids 1D-Y(1Ma or 2C) - New suit(Z): (Technically Forcing)
Forcing. At 2-level shows additional values ; normally forcing to agreement; at 3-level strictly game forcing.
- 4th suit with jump
Genuine values in the bid suit which needs to be 3+ cards with a double
stop. Game forcing, denies support for partner's suits & suggests NT game
- Y Rebid
6+ card suit <10HCP. A stop bid
3 card support - unless the only practical
rebid - WEAK
support - Forward going bid. 10+ HCP
Denies support for both opener's
suits. Strength consistent with being playable
Opting to play in Z - possibly only 3 card support
Responder's rebids 1D-any(OPP)-2¦3¦4 D's
The stronger 2D response is forcing, see Inverted minors
Responder's rebids 1D-any(OPP)-1N
Shows modest values 5-9HCP and may be passed.
A 6 card Diamond suit can be rebid
- a balanced hand
- a guard in OPPMajor intervention
- denies Diamond support
- Suggests the other 2 suits - i.e. unbid Majors and Clubs.
There is danger in bidding 2C or 2Ma (probably a 4-3 fit)